Give Your Cat Twitter Powers
In this instructable, I'll walk you through the process of
- building a cat sensor out of a simple momentary switch, foam core and foam strips
- reading the cat sensor on your Mac or PC using Arduino and Processing
- automatically posting status updates to Twitter when your cat takes a nap or wakes back up
- taking pictures of your cat on the bed with a webcam and uploading the pictures to a webserver
Want to see a twittering cat in action? Follow @zooooey on Twitter.
This instructable is inspired by Tom Igoe's Networked Cat Project in the book "Making Things Talk"
Step 1 Theory / Overview
Here's the shopping/scavenging list, from most to least expensive:
- 1 old laptop or PC with internet connection. Mac or PC will both work fine; Linux will be trickier - you're on your own there with video capture support.
- 1 webcam
- 1 Arduino board + USB cable
- 1 momentary switch
- stranded wire (I like 24AWG)
- 1 sheet of foamcore
- some springy sheet material (e.g. Foamies sheets)
Tools: Just the basics
- soldering iron
- xacto knife
- hot glue gun